A Walk in Arthur's Pass National Park

Arthur's Pass National Park, July 22nd 2015

The beginning of the track. One out of many in Arthur's Pass.
"Devil's Punchbowl'... eeew, that sounds scary. Then I thought there must be a folktale that brought the name. Too much fantasy :P My next lesson in Arthur's Pass was that "punchbowl" is a geographical term which means a bowl-shaped depression in the land. Of course it's British. But, no tales. And! The devil's punchbowl is also in the USA, Canada, and not quite a surprise, in England.

Devil's Punchbowl Falls


The view of the punchbowl from afar.
Passage to Kiwi Zone
Copying from "Discover Arthur's Pass",
Arthur's Pass village is the only tourism centre in New Zealand within a great spotted kiwi/roroa habitat. You are highly unlikely to see one, but you may hear their calls at night as they often forage in the forest near the village.
Because I had already seen kiwis in their natural habitat in Zealandia, I didn't bother much. However, the notice I read at the visitor centre made me wonder if there are really any kiwis (left). That notice said something like this: "Please let us now, if you hear a kiwi." Frankly speaking, ever since I read a brochure in National Park Village which said, "... thanks to the snow-making machine..." I began to question the (seemingly) great things in this country. Adding to that, I didn't see even one kea in Arthur's Pass. I asked the staff at the visitor centre if I should go to a certain spot. One staff said they are probably behind the cafe. I went there, none. Another staff gave me a rather longer answer which into conclusion would be: "If there are here, there are."

Bealey River, running along Arthur's Pass.
Crossing Bealey River
Two days later, on my way back from Greymouth, except on the mountain tops, Arthur's Pass was clear of snow. I had to call myself lucky, because this day was the once and only time in winter NZ, my Russian snow boots made some significance. The waterproof feature however, protected my feet from mud a couple of times, from seawater once, but never from snow. I couldn't even bury my finger in the snow, you know...
The podocarp forest I mentioned also in "Going to School at Arthur's".



No comments:

Post a Comment