Grey Greymouth

I woke up to a grey sky in Arthur's Pass plus an extra powder of snow on the ground. The further my TranzAlpine rolled towards Greymouth, the greyer the sky. No more snow, but rain. It was time to indulge myself with a bottle of white wine form KiwiRail's cafe -- my best wine so far -- while listening to the commentary, and then catch up the lost sleep, for my hostel had been awful. Nevertheless, KiwiRail's cozy and spacious seat made it up for me well. Hence, no pictures.
**


Greymouth, July 23rd 2015

Plan A: sightseeing (= taking pictures) along Grey River, cancelled. Because it's grey.
Plan B: ???

Tasman Sea! I haven't been there. I haven't set foot on the west coast and I don't know if I ever will on next trip. But, it's grey, replied the other me.

No, no. This is for the sake of the feeling. This time I want to be one of those who are happy enough to be 'have been'. I left my camera at the hostel. A feeling cannot be pictured anyway.

Thanks to the maps I received from i-Site and then from my hostel, Noah's Ark Backpacker. One got wet by rain, crumpled, and then torn. The other one, finally let me to Tasman Sea, on foot.

Tasman Sea, captured by my smart Lumia.
If only Greymouth weren't being grey, this would have been an excellent sunset spot.

In an attempt of bringing out the best of grey.
I'm not trying to soothe myself. But, despite the grey, casting my sight to the right, to the left, and ahead, nothing but Tasman Sea Unlimited... listening to the thunderous roar only interrupted by a dog's excited bark a few meters away... I was spellbound.

Grey roofs under a grey sky in Greymouth.
The bay windows, the porch...reminded me of the old face of my home country.
Isn't it interesting to see man's journey on architecture?

This, reminded me of the modern side of my hometown.
I first saw Mitre 10 in Auckland and was hysterical. What?? Mitra 10!! Then I saw Mitre 10 again, and again. I don't think NZ got inspired by my home country. Do you?

In an attempt of seeking out the best of grey.
On my way back to Noah's Ark, I sought for some more meaning to make worth. Uhm. Sounding too philosophical. Stop talking.

Greymouth Baptist Church
Love the windows. Same base, different sizes.


Luckily still, it was Greymouth, not Blackmouth :D

No comments:

Post a Comment