Amused in Auckland Domain

Auckland, July 13th 2015

Even I had already seen how green the landscape was despite the season called winter, still was I amused in Auckland Domain. Wow. This is certainty not the winter I have always known.

Understanding that Auckland Domain contains all of the explosion crater and most of the surrounding tuff ring of the Pukekawa Volcano, amused me even more. It's hard for me to imagine a volcano mountain exists, or did exist, in the middle of a metropolitan city. Of course, at that time Auckland might still be nothing at all. It feels odd that without going anyway far, no trekking, no hiking, I'm actually walking in a crater. Not to mention that the seashore is just a few hundred meters away.

Today, consisting of 75 hectares, Auckland Domain is the largest park in Auckland, but also the oldest.

Next amusement, twisted tree.
Next next amusement, bent tree.
A little close up.

 

This, I have noticed since my first day in Auckland. The edges on top of the bare trees are glowing particularly reddish under the sun. Is it merely because of the sunshine or are the stem skins reddish brown?

Ducks that seemed to enjoy the grass more than their pond.
Duck Pond is the remain of the lava lake. But I totally forgot to take a picture of the lake. I got too absorbed by the ducks as they seemed to walk closer and closer to me. Do I smell fish or what?















Facing towards winter garden, that one with glass roof and walls.

No comments:

Post a Comment