Wine in Marlborough

Blenheim, December 28th 2015

I fell in love with Blenheim on first sight when I rode on Intercity from Picton to Kaikoura last winter. If you ask me why, I cannot define that. However, what made me decide to come to Blenheim and stay even just for one night was: the vineyards. They were vineyards I had never known before. The vineyards I knew were like the ones I saw in Khao Yai (Thailand), in Xinjiang (China), and in my Bible story books.
 
Thus I signed up for a wine tour that mentioned "vineyard walk and talk" in its itinerary. I understood there would be wine tasting, same as the wine tour I joint in Khao Yai, same as the brewery tour at Monteith's in Greymouth. At both places, the tasting came at the very very end of the tour which was about the making of wine/beer. I really couldn't wait to walk through a New Zealand vineyard. I wore trekking sandals and brought a hat. All set!

First visit: Wither Hills. How about this, how about that? We sampled four five variants of wine. "Oh well, maybe on this tour, wine tasting comes first to raise your spirit and energy for the walk," I said to myself.

I very seldom drink wine. But when I do, I always opt for red wine over white wine. It just tastes... uhm, better? After joining this tour, I brushed up a bit about what I had learned in Khao Yai, and searched other sources. Got it. What I felt better in red wine, was a "richer" taste. That's the word. Why? Because white wine is basically produced from the just the juice (of grape of course!) whilst red wine is produced fermenting the grape including skin, and sometimes stem, too. Grape skin and stem contains tannin. That's what makes red wine taste richer than white wine. But for me, it's simple. More ingredients -- juice, skin, stem -- thus richer.

The views from Wither Hills.
There's no doubt that Wither Hills winery is an excellent place to enjoy a great meal with the finest wine surrounded by remarkable scenery. But when will we walk 'there'?

Some more views from the top floor of Wither Hills.
Our guide led us to the top floor, and as just nearly everywhere in New Zealand: it's beautiful. But when will we walk 'there'?

 Or maybe we will be walking there? No, just look.

Next visit: Lawson's Dry Hills. Another wine tasting. Four? Five? I don't remember.

Scenery speaking, it's nothing like Wither Hills. But for one who seeks solitude over prestige, Lawson's Dry Hills might be a better option.

A close up on the vines from Lawson's backyard. We are definitely not going to walk talk here.

However, there's some written knowledge.
In case you don't know it yet, New Zealand's Sauvignon Blanc is judged the number one in this whole world.

Nah, that, Pinot Noir, is my favorite. (Reason of taking picture.)

"You prefer red wine?" my guide asked in a tone of disbelief.

Aha. I definitely don't look like a wine enthusiast. Not the least. And yet, I prefer red to white which is obviously higher in alcohol level. Was she aware that my favorite is Pinot Noir which is indeed among the highest of alcohol level within red wine varieties itself?

In case you don't know it also, New Zealand's Pinot Noir's alcohol level is often higher than that of other countries'.

Next visit: Highfield Terravin. Scenery speaking, this is my favorite.

Walk talk? No. Sampling wine. Again. Four? Five? I don't remember.

 
My heart leaped. There. Yes, there. We are going to finally walk talk.

Oh, come on. Where is everybody? Still tasting wine??

Usually when you, I, I mean, are in a tour, I don't have enough time to take pictures. This time, I had more than enough to turn from one angle to another, to change lenses and filters, and to wait again.

You should be curious of what I'm going to write about next. :D



No comments:

Post a Comment